CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Little Known Fact About Me From Years Previous

When I was about eight or nine years old, I was a precocious young girl. I kept my nose buried in a book more often than not and had surpassed the reading levels of my peers and many of the teenagers and college students living nearby. My mom was hard pressed to keep me with an adequate supply of quality reading material (her hand-me-downs were gushy love novels with explicit scenes and therefore wholely inappropriate). My Grandma, who was also a book worm began giving me books she enjoyed, mostly murder mysteries by authors such as Mary Higgins Clark, John Grisham and the like. One day she gave me a book called Cruel and Unusual written by Patricia Cornwell.

The book is about a medical examiner named Kay Scarpetta who finds the finger prints of a recently executed criminal on a new crime scene. Scarpetta has to determine if someone is toying with her and solve the crime before someone close to her becomes the next victim. Heavy reading for a nine year old but for me it was like a light bulb flashing an amazing career opportunity. But a nine year old saying she wants to answer questions posed by the dead (cut up bodies/ perform autopsies) tends to bring out red flag and not to mention just freaks the normal person out so I let it go mostly.

Through highschool I wanted to be a business major specializing in international business, mostly because I love to travel and what better way to do it than on someone elses dollar, but still the idea of becoming a medical examiner tickeled the far recesses of my brain. When in my first semester in college I realized how truly boring the bleak world of business was I turned tail and ran right back into the field of science. While becoming a doctor is not quite a medical examiner, the thoughts of tweaking my career aspirations still plays games in my head on quiet nights when there is little else to think of. The pay is significantly less as a medical examiner, but as a doctor you hold people's lives in your hands by the minute and one wrong move can kill. But as a medical examiner, evn if every thing goes wrong the worst that can happen is you get a heart rate ( not mine I read it once). But seriously, if I could find away to shut myself off emotionally at work being a medical examiner would be really fufilling (not so much on a financial level but money isn't everything). I guess I have time to make a decison though because medical examiners are supposed to be MD's too, so at least 6 more years to make up my mind.

0 comments: